Various Levels of Speculation, from Wild to Risk-averse
Tuesday February 23, 2021
Since there is a lot of idle talk about investing or trading being “gambling,” I thought I’d speculate on a sort of gambling-gradient which could be useful for normal people.
- Wild speculation, throwing a significant percentage of one’s holdings into turbulent, ephemeral opportunities or ventures, having taken little interest in fundamentals or technical factors
- Wild speculation, throwing a significant but more easily renewable percentage of one’s holdings into temporary opportunities or ventures, having taken little interest in fundamentals or technical factors
- Wild speculation, but for entertainment purposes and with a reasonable percentage of holdings, i.e. play money
- Speculation based on little insight or information, but only risking one’s non-critical resources, e.g. helping a friend guess the answer on a game show (possible small amount of reputation on the line)
- Speculation, but for entertainment purposes and in a regulated environment
- Speculation, but following group / citizen tradition with a general intuitive sense for the odds
- Speculation, but parallelling expert or institutional interest, with technical and fundamental factors widely available for research
- Speculation, but diversified across markets and assets, in an educated fashion
- Risk-averse Speculation, widely diversified across markets and assets, with expert advisement, with risk spread over multiple time frames
- Risk-averse Speculation, as a drastically reduced percentage of the overall portfolio, e.g. 0.1% to 10% of total holdings
- Risk-averse Speculation, at a drastically reduced percentage of the overall portfolio, and only during specific life periods, e.g. when young and healthy
How do you speculate, and where does it fall on the list?
Do you feel pressured to pick one method, or do you see why multiple methods may help you reach your goals faster, or in a more interesting or entertaining way?
Introduction to than Ward Flen, lang whem →
Blog Updates, 2022-10 →
Keeping a List of Almost 1,100 Personal Interests: Recent Thoughts →
Emotional Eating is Yummy, So Why Not Become an Expert? →
Do you change your body language, mannerisms, or speech with different people? →
Things I Made for You
Own your procrastination with Whole Productivity, a new system → Get my free INTJ COVID-19 Guide → Explore your gifts with my INTJ Workbook → Other Publications → ...and the fake word of the hour: "Narfoff." Which I believe is a term used when speaking about eye glasses.