Topic: Spheres of Light

New AoI animation with DIY synth sounds. Using a lot of particle scripts.

https://vimeo.com/232681535

Helge

Thumbs up

Re: Spheres of Light

Ohh... Some nice bits in there. I especially like the pool surface - its scale seems a bit off, to my eyes, but it was... instinctively convincing.

Was the "Snowy" bit managed with particle scripts, or just the fog at the beginning?

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot, ljs. I'm not aiming for realism, so 'instinctively convincing' is more than good enough for me.
The effect on the floor in the first sequence (with red brick walls) is a procedural material that is animated. The falling snow in the last sequence (blue room) is a particle script, and the snow on the floor is copies of the floor objects and a procedural texture with noise in the displacement channel; just raising the snow at some point in time so it shows gradually.

Helge

Thumbs up

I was wondering, how you did the flying spheres at 0:35 - 1:10? (I did something similar some time ago...)

The shadows of the single sphere flying throurgh the room make a certain kind of mood..... big_smile Just notided. that all the sphers actually cast shadows on the multiple sphere sequence too ... Must have taken time to render?

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

Thanks for watching, Pete.
It's a script from the scripting tutorial by Peter Eastman, using perlin noise. Each sphere is a regular sphere with a glowing texture that is 50 % transparent, and a point light inside. So it's the light that casts the shadow, no global illumination here. Regular lights are quite fast, but with 100 lights it does take some time, and each frame consists of two renderings to get better illusion of movement. On average it took about 24 hours to render one minute.

Helge

Thumbs up