Topic: Wikipedia page

Hi.

I started to work in a new Wikipedia page for Art of Illusion. The draf version is being built here Art of Illusion is still mentioned on this listing of 3D-software.

You may remember, that there was one before but sadly it was removed already some time ago. The page was created maybe with a little bit of too much of ethusiasm and it did not quite meet the strict Wikipedia quality standards from the beginning and also it was left without maintenance for several years before it was removed. I'm hoping, that we could avoid that this time.

You are also welcome to suggest ideas, what to write on the page. If you know about any media coverage, that could be referred to, please let me know, it would be very valuable at this point.

Also, feel free edit additions directly into the draft but please avoid for example copying parts from the homepage, like the "Many of its capabilities rival those found in commercial programs". That is considered advertising and is not allowed. We should stick to facts, that can be referenced and not state any of our own opinions, how ever well justified they might be. smile

laptop

Last edited by peteihis (August 23, 2017, 12:10 am)

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

Re: Wikipedia page

maybe you can still state that one of the design focus points is on ease of use and simple UI, since that's a factual project goal that has been used even on wikipedia's old deleted article in the past.   also maybe more stuff on the node editor for procedurals.

just trying to think of both cases of use in the simple and advanced areas.

It is kind of sad that the article was deleted, seeing as how AoI is still high ranking in downloads on sourceforge.  If AoI ever does die off into the development "other place" like k-3d did at least we have a pretty robust and stable package by now.  Much better than what many open source projects can say.

Also maybe emphasis some on how OpenGL is handy but not required.  Many of my use cases for AoI stem from having systems that can't handle OpenGL and falling back to good old clean coded AoI with its "optional" OpenGL, which these days is pretty much down to just AoI and PovRay, (not an interactive modeler anyway)

Last edited by doomseer (August 25, 2017, 5:00 am)

May it be an evening star
Shines down upon you
May it be when darkness falls
Your heart will be true

Thumbs up

Re: Wikipedia page

> maybe you can still state that one of the design focus points is on ease of use and simple UI, since that's a factual project goal.

Yes, that should somehow be brought up ... The problem is, that it should be clearly stated somewhere else than Wikipedia, so it could be referenced with credibility. -- That has been said over and over in various forum discussions, but those are a bit tricky to use as references.

But then, the new www-pages are under construction as well, so it might be the right time review what exactly is said there.

> also maybe more stuff on the node editor for procedurals.

On my list. smile The old procedural texture introduction picture that Marc had made for the old Wikipedia pages is still in Wikimedia Commons.

> Also maybe emphasis some on how OpenGL is handy but not required.

Yes, worth mentioning in the systen reqs part.

It seem the real art here is to really stick to things that can be verified from other sources. Probably better to keep the thing rather too minimal that to try to explain everything.

It seems that Wikipedia people are very eager to point out any vagueness they possibly can find (as they should), so it's probably better to leave even important points out that to try to push them in without references. I guess making conclusions would be OK but stating opinions not.  scratchchin

Last edited by peteihis (August 25, 2017, 3:02 pm)

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...