Topic: The One Ring Animation

This is my first attempt at animating in AoI.  smile  There is a little error between 19 & 20 seconds that occurred when I looped the keyframes.

The One Ring Animation

Update: I redid the animation to fix the error and I also did some color correction on the video. smile

Last edited by WolfyCL (July 13, 2017, 10:03 pm)

Thumbs up

Re: The One Ring Animation

Cool animaiton. Good work with the colors an the general feeling. smile

One thing abou the texturing: You seem to have sed projection mapping on the writing. That makes it stretch by the edges and show up backwards on the other side.

For this kind of a case you could use Cylindrical mapping and per-face textureing. WIth the texture set to Faces, you can set it in the model editor off for the surface where you don't need it and  the per-faIt wraps the texture image around the object.

Though, the Cylindrical mapping is a bit tricly to use. You probably need to make the texture "Tiled" in both directions to have it work correctly. (The cylindrical mapping works for Image Mapped and 2D-Procedural textures, not for 3D-Procedurals.)

smile

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

Cool animaiton. Good work with the colors an the general feeling. smile

One thing about the texturing: You seem to have used projection mapping withthe writing. That makes it stretch by the edges and show up backwards on the other side.

For this kind of a case you could use Cylindrical mapping and per-face texturing. With the texture set to Faces, you can set it in the model editor off for the surfaces, where you don't need it and the Cylindical mapping wraps the texture image around the object.

Though, the Cylindrical mapping is a bit tricly to use. You probably need to make the texture "Tiled" in both directions to have it work correctly. (The cylindrical mapping works for Image Mapped and 2D-Procedural textures, not for 3D-Procedurals.)

smile

Thank you smile

I managed to fix the mapping with cylindrical mapping. I'm using a 5 layered overlay texture for the ring and the text now wraps around the ring in the right direction on both the outside and the inside of the ring.  smile

I also redid the animation from scratch, so it looks much better now. I will post the new video as soon as I have rendered it. There are a total of 1440 frames that need to be rendered, so it is going to take a while.

I am just having some trouble with the environment texture. Currently the environment uses an image mapped texture with the flame image. The mapping is set to projection, so it creates stretched reflections on the sides of the ring, I tried setting the environment texture mapping to spherical, but it does not work. I just end up with an environment that is completely transparent.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Thumbs up

I tried setting the environment texture mapping to spherical, but it does not work. I just end up with an environment that is completely transparent.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Sorry for the delay with my answer. It's not you, it's the way, that AoI does the spherical mapping....

When you use an ImageMapped texture you need to select the checkboxes "Tiled horizontally" and "Tiled vertically" in the texture editor. Otherwise the image will entirely miss the object. You may try to fix that in the Texture mapping editor, but probabaly can only produce partial texturing.

The "Tiled" options should be selected by default, when you create an ImageMapped texture.

Of course you would expect, that a single image would be wrapped around an object correctly just by default settings without tiling (and you would expect a coulpe of other thing too...) The spherical mapping is definitely is one things, that should finally be fixed. It keeps popping up in discussions.

Of course you may need to edit your picture to work better with the spherical mapping. Ideally the aspect ratio of the image would be 2:1 and the height would be 0.5*pi times the height of a projected picture. You can use a square picture too by setting the mapping Width to 180 degrees.

A different kind of sport would be to create a 3D circle of livinh flames into the scene... That kind of a thing can be done, but it extends the rendering time 'exponentially' and I will not even start to explain the procedure now...  laptop  digital  wizard

Last edited by peteihis (July 20, 2017, 10:13 am)