Topic: Contest: Next version announcement banner [closed]

This is a contest for the announcement banner used in the forum for the upcoming Art of Illusion 2.4 release. big_smile

Edit: This contest is over and Julian won!

The current image is:

http://www.friendlyskies.net/AoI/23NateAnnounce.jpg

The prize for this one is the sheer glory of having your image displayed on forum pages during the development cycle of AoI 2.4. hobbes

Rules are simple:

1. Submit an image or images with dimensions 780x100 in PNG format

2. Do not use any text on the image, but do not make it so busy that a text overlay would look bad

3. You can submit any artwork that was created with Art of Illusion, even if you've shown it at the forum before.

4. Try your best to make an image that would make *you* want to use Art of Illusion.

Deadline: The contest ends about a week after 2.4 ea 1 is released, so hurry hurry hurry smile

Judging: I will put up a poll for voting.

By participating in this contest you agree to let us use your image as the forum announcement banner for the duration of the 2.4 release cycle.

Have fun! ninja

Win | Flickr | Day Job: Web Designer

Re: Contest: Next version announcement banner [closed]

Ok, seems quiet so I'll post my entry:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/macdonaldj2/dolphins.jpg

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/mac … lphins.jpg

Julian

Last edited by macdonaldj (August 20, 2006, 3:35 am)

Thumbs up

Nice - that immidiatley makes me think: Why not an animated GIF with a red, yellow and blue dolphin... ;-)

Vid

Don´t start chasing rainbows - get caught by them.
Deutsches Portal für Art of Illusion

Thumbs up

More whales! big_smile
I really prefer your "dolphins-in-a-box" to the usual "dolphins-in-a-can" (aka tuna). icon_twisted Do they all share the same pose? The leftmost looks a bit static, though the scene is very vivid.

BTW: Since I'm new here, I haven't seen many announcement banners... Could someone possibly post predecessors?

Win count1
man is the measure of all things

Thumbs up

I think this is the first one I put up:

http://www.friendlyskies.net/AoI/23betagraphic.png

...we've only had two so far... wink

Things are looking good for Julian...but...are there no other takers? Wow, I'm surprised. All you have to do is render a scene to fit the dimensions of the banner...

That said, the contest ends on Saturday. If I get called away to work or something, it might be Sunday or Monday, but you will know for sure when this thread gets locked and a poll is up. smile

Hmm I might do it - not sure if I can reach it though, so on a second thought maybe not. Ill post if Ill do something wink

Win count4

Thumbs up

And the winner is....Julian! big_smile Yay, good job, love the dolphins. Thanks to all who would have voted had we more than one entry. smile

BTW Julian...have you thought about making a version of this with something in the background? The white/dark border makes it a little hard to add text. Let me know if you want to update this, or if I can shove off and take my comments with me. wink

I will be putting this up soon...I'm thinking that we should go with two images, one for the stable version and one for experimental, since I notice we get links straight here from other forums and a lot of those people are probably new to the software. We would then cycle Julian's image up to the stable release position once 2.4 final is out.

marcc wrote:

And the winner is....Julian! big_smile Yay, good job, love the dolphins. Thanks to all who would have voted had we more than one entry. smile

BTW Julian...have you thought about making a version of this with something in the background? The white/dark border makes it a little hard to add text. Let me know if you want to update this, or if I can shove off and take my comments with me. wink

Yay!  A win by default hmm

I have no problem reworking the image but am a little unsure what you mean.  Which white/dark border are you referring to (the edge of the box and the white background ?)?  I was envisaging the text sitting at bottom left, similar to current banner.  I could angle the camera to get rid of the edge of the box if that's what you mean ?

Julian

Thumbs up

I could angle the camera to get rid of the edge of the box if that's what you mean ?

Heh...sorry, I was pretty tired when I wrote my comment. I had a big "2.4" that covered the far left side of the banner vertically, so it flowed into the white background and got lost in the contrast. I will do it like the current banner and save you the trouble. wink