Topic: Walkin Droid

smile
I constructed a simple low poly model to study IK in AoI. A detailed Skeletal system with rigid and
constrained joint movements. Here is a quick walk animation :
Gif ,600 k
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6140/walkindroidcj4.gif

It has consecutive, equally weighted  poses keyframed in pose track. So, its different from
the last animation (penguin) where a few poses had different keyframed weights.

digital  Wireframe :

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4513/walkindroidleftjs8.gif   http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6061/walkindroidfrontlq4.gif

AoI File : Download

>> UPDATE:

Another try after fixing some problems with the skeleton, and a simple model :

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7455/biped.gif

AoI File : Download

Last edited by Truth (June 22, 2009, 8:49 am)

Visit Deviant Art Gallery

Thumbs up

Re: Walkin Droid

Very nice work on the feet.

You are becoming a master - if you not are already!

Harald

Don´t start chasing rainbows - get caught by them.
Deutsches Portal für Art of Illusion

Thumbs up

Thanks Harald !

I'm a little beginner who likes AoI.

Thumbs up

That's very good smile

I like the realism there: You have given movemets to the whole body and the head,  not just the feet.

How many gestures did you use to create that? Any problems with the bones? (The usual thing, that people tend to stumble on, is that in a certain angle two rotations become equivalent, due to fact that the bones actually are defined in a spherical coordinate system, though the UI lets you believe otherwise.)

Last edited by peteihis (March 7, 2008, 4:57 pm)

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

Wow, really nice weight distribution in the walking!

I'm on a wireless router so I'm kinda slow (duh.. *drool*)
My bolg: http://bl67.myvnc.com Updated sometimes. Subscribe to the RSS feed.

Thanks.:)

You can also make it do other things jump
so get the source AoI file Here

Pete > 14 gestures in a sequence.
Yes, I found out that for some bones, the Y-bend and Twist resulted in same movement.
I was expecting every bone to have two orthogonal rings of movement(x-bend , Y-bend)
and a twist circle (Something that looks like the PME's gizmo tool)
oriented relative to that bone and not the parent bone.But... tongue

Another thing , the points move differently owing to their position along the length of bone.
To bind points which lie beyond the end points of bone you have to add more fixed bones.
Anyway, you may check the AoI file yourself and suggest some improvements.

Blackle > I was talking about weight (Amplitude) of Gestures.
But you are true. The center of gravity has to be stable by distributing the weight evenly.

Last edited by Truth (March 7, 2008, 11:13 pm)

Thumbs up

Truth wrote:

Blackle > I was talking about weight (Amplitude) of Gestures.
But you are true. The center of gravity has to be stable by distributing the weight evenly.

What I was taking about was the center of gravity in it's walking.

I'm on a wireless router so I'm kinda slow (duh.. *drool*)
My bolg: http://bl67.myvnc.com Updated sometimes. Subscribe to the RSS feed.

@ Truth
your Droid is very good... I try too, to animate an Dummy, but i have very big Problems.
We have no Tutorial in german board how i can learn to animate an actor.
Can you make once? Perfect was an video-tut to make your Droid?
That was my wish.
Now excuse for the very bad english but its more then 20 Jears ago that i speak/write engish in scool..

so long THORA

Thumbs up

thanks for appreciation.

I will try to make a tutorial as soon I get some free time. you'll have to translate it, since I know no german.

also you can find Julian's walk tutorial here : HERE

meanwhile you can play with the aoi file posted above.

~ truth.

Thumbs up

We will already manage with the translation here in the German forum. Here are some which are able well in English (Vidiot).
By now I thank for your efforts.

Thumbs up

Hi!

I'd like to share a some of my own experiences about animating with bones:

Basically the instructions on the manual work OK, but there are a couple of things to consider that may make your life with the model easier on the long run:

1) Julian seems to have created the skeleton in the front view (or at least front-direction of the model). This can produce trouble with joints like shoulder and hips, where there is a more permanent joint first and the the other direction that performs most of the motion.
Julian's approach as been to add short extra bones into the joints. However, this is not necessarily possible if you create the skeleton in the side view (and to some bones up-view) of the model. This way the permanent type bends happen to the "flat" direction of the bone and the other direction is uneffected by the first one. (This is result of how the spherical coordinaes of the bones are defined)

2) Julian has used a up-down-correction track to keep the wax-man on the ground while walking. This is not necessary, if you create each gesture so that the model is touching a "reference-floor". This may not be a reasonable requirement if your model does very large movements, but just for a basic walk it should work. -- The entire model moves (up-and-down in it's local coordinate system) when you move the "Root 0"-point of the skeleton, so you can easily have it walk.

3) To my mind 6 gestures should be enough to animate a "normal" walk cycle with 2 or 4 legs. -- Julan has used 8, where the "Down 1" and "-2" gestures look a kind of exaggerated to me... Well -- maybe he had his reasons wink

Here is another discussion about skeletons: http://www.friendlyskies.net/aoiforum/v … 345#p15345 ... In there I posted back a file, that originally was created by TheWoods. What I did there, was to apply, what I worte about #1) above.

cool

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

On reading about animating, I tend to get dizzy..
Old posting, ok, but I like the character. Good proportions, looking simply like this is what it should look like. I think that means good work.

Is this digital the real life?  Is this just fantasy?

@Pete  I agree, the problem  exists specifically with shoulder joints. since they're kind of ball-socket joints , 180 by 180 range of movement + twist.

you are right, I should've created those bones in side view. Also, I think creating skeleton when model is in the spread-eagle position also helps.
I wish that there should be different joint types/presets for bones in AoI, and a better visual transform tool like the gizmo.

as far walk simulation is concerned, once I also tried constraining feet to follow cyclic curves as paths, and left rest to IK solver, the result wasn't  good. AoI IK solver is broken.

Thumbs up

@Truth--awesome model and animation. I'm new to AOI and don't have a lot of experience in 3D modeling/animation, but I created the man as in the AOI tutorial, but when I add a skeleton and try to lower his arms, they buckle and collapse badly. How can this be avoided? Do I need to make a lot more edges and then use smaller, more numerous bones? I tried making the IK weight closer to 0, and that helps a little, but I still see very unsatisfactory results. In the past, I worked a little with Cinema 4D and was able to somehow tell it to keep the mesh from collapsing--is there a way to do that with AOI?

Thanks for the help!

Thumbs up

hmm....

1. You forgot to bind some points to any bone. so the unbound points do not move with the bone.

2. You are trying to bind point(s) that lie beyond the length of a bone. Points should lie near the bone length (create more bones).though there are no specific envelops defined.

3. A little subdividing always helps.

check out above model for details.

Last edited by Truth (June 22, 2009, 4:41 am)

Thumbs up