Topic: Integrated Technology

Your task is to integrate technology into everyday thing. Be creative, try making a recliner with a keyboard attached to the side and a semi transparent screen in front of the user's eyes or a salt shaker with legs and a TV screen.

the rules are below

1) Follow the rules
2) Nothing that would make your mother (or guardian) gasp
3) No photoshoping or gimp-ing (you can make a picture for UV mapping, though)
4) Only AOI

the contest ends on the 25th of December. (at this time, I will open a new thread for voting)

Last edited by Blacklemon67 (December 4, 2007, 2:05 pm)

I'm on a wireless router so I'm kinda slow (duh.. *drool*)
My bolg: http://bl67.myvnc.com Updated sometimes. Subscribe to the RSS feed.

Re: Integrated Technology

Don't Forget about the contest! smile

You best not forget! Lol smile

This sounds, like the kind of a challege that could actually make me finish my ancient Eames Lounge thing..... roll

But now a question about your rules: Still or moving? (Looking at your original message I'd guess "moving").... snowglomp

...there's more to the picture than meets the eye...

Doesn't matter, If you feel you want an animation, then that's accepted along with stills smile

Well I guess this contest was a flop sad

haha! it's really hard to pull-off ideas here, eh?

Reinventing the Wheel makes Learning Faster.

haha! it's really hard to pull-off ideas here, eh?

Well, it's not always hard, but there are various forms of resistance:

1. holiday periods tend to take people away from their computers;
2. this is a relatively small community, so even popular ideas may get only a few subscribers;
3. I think a reasonable proportion of the community are fairly non-competetive (as distinct to uncompetetive);
4. most of the ideas that do catch on are because something caught people's imagination. This does rather make it difficult to come up with competition topics, as many topics which appeal to the proposer don't appeal to enough other users.

On the other hand, some of the ideas which have caught on have resulted in really amazing threads, eg, the 'lens' thread, the 'riding slug' thread, and various other threads on smoke, fog, diffraction, ambiant occlusion, rainbow effects and laser effects.

Looking at this list, I see most involve interesting light effects - but I'm not sure if this is purely because I am fascinated by light effects and therefore notice threads on that, or whether the more active members of the community share my interest in light...

Cheers!
Nik

Honorable
I would not be a member of any club that would have me as a member
- Groucho Marx

I think Nik's speculation is interesting -- it points to purely technical aspects preferred by, say, programmers.

The implication being some technical aspect of the challenge which captures the imagination marks the successful collaboration. I would suggest with minimal imagination, you can apply what you're interested in to any collaboration. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of technical exercises -- which really don't need collaboration to expand -- without any organizing purpose or theme.

The collaboration without a theme or purpose other than a technical element is probably going to be pretty rare. Furthermore, since any given technologist might prefer a different technical element, you'll be darned lucky to get more than one participant from a small potential pool.

On the other hand, when you can bring your favorite technical element to any collaboration, this should appeal to a larger number of participants. My guess is the technologists would rather just dabble with the technical element in a "pure" state than the "distraction" of actually having a purpose for the technical exercise -- such as the theme for a collaboration.

Because it would take merely a smidgen of imagination to relate the element lens, smoke or diffraction to this or any other collaboration. Sorry to say AOI is pointless it there's no subject matter to apply it to. Think of collaborations as an excuse and challenge to work in your favorite technical element.

Last edited by DCrux (January 9, 2008, 5:51 am)

Hi DCrux,

I'm not sure I completely followed eveything you suggested in your post.

However, a few points seem clear (from my point of view, at least):

1. Many of the longer threads have started with a "how could you do this with AOI?" question. The original question was almost always to do with a scene that someone was actually trying to model. So there was a specific point to the original topic.

2. I can recall many of those threads leading to contributions by others on both the original scene file (if it was posted), or with additional scenes. Some threads such as 'riding slug' have coalesced into a small collabative team building a much larger project (a small animation) than the original goal (a scene or just an individual character).

3. Very few of the discussions have been technical to the extent of being from the point of view of a programmer. Those types of discussions seem to live almost exclusively on the SourceForge Developer forum.

4. Most of the questions I've seen are more oriented to "how can I create this visual effect?" rather than "How can I apply this technique or technical feature?". My perception of these forums is that the former normally leads to the latter, and not the other way around.

5. Most (though not all) of the popular threads have involved a supplied scene or object. I think for many here, competitions which require people to create a complete scene from scratch require too much time that could be used in other existing projects.

From what DCrux has pointed out and from the points above, it seems to me that the best way to start a collaboration or competition in this community would be to state the challenge in a form something like one of the following:

1. "How would I create this effect?"
2. "How many different ways can we create this effect?"
3. "How would I combine these (multiple) effects in the one scene?"
4. "Let's all try to make the most imaginative use of this effect/feature"
   Eg, Marc posted a competition or challenge on the use of ambient occlusion, which was really fun
5. "What effects can people suggest to spice up this supplied scene?"
6. "In which different ways could I animate this effect?"

etc.

Cheers!
Nik

Honorable
- Groucho Marx

Well, I guess this tread did sprout a conversation! smile

Oh, and just to be clear: I am a programmer, so my views here may well be coloured by that. smile

Cheers!
Nik

Honorable
- Groucho Marx

Good stuff. This might be helpful for anyone wanting to improve their chance at getting collaborators. There's always the question of how much structure to offer versus being too rigid, and where that line is.